We Invented Online Portfolios for Models and Actors in 1995 - Enough Dreaming. It's Time to Be a Star!

New Faces® Forums

Newfaces.com

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saint3meg3rlfc

Post    Post subject: Improving, please help. Reply with quote

I need some help. I am by no means experienced. I've done a few plays when I was younger, but that's it. I love acting, it's all I want to do.

My dilemma is getting experience and improving. I don't want to start myself on the wrong path. I'm doing a drama course in school, though not until next year. The acting classes in my area are ridiculously expensive. While I try and save for one, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to get myself going.

Any exercises to try? anything of that nature?

Thank you
sorcererayush

Post    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ;)
saint3meg3rlfc

Post    Post subject: Reply with quote

um.......thanks?? :?
KariLynn

Post    Post subject: Build yourself up Reply with quote

There is always a way to get experience no matter where you are. Everybody loves an actor that will work for free and if you are passionate you must. Look around for community theater, local medieval faires, etc. If you want improv, try getting a group of friends together once a week for a night of "Whose line is it anyway" style games. If you are close to a college with any sort of film or theater program all the better. Students in directing classes (film or theater) need actors, ALWAYS. Many times those students just trade off being actors in each others projects; ask them, why? when they could have you? Don't be biased towards film/theater if there are opportunities in the other. The basic principles of acting are the same in both. But film focuses more on realism and theater on exaggeration. I'm not saying don't take acting classes. But learning is doing in this industry and if you can't afford those classes there are plenty of ways around it.
Try simplyscripts.com, I like picking movies scripts I haven't seen and picking a character's monologue and playing with it, different settings, background stories, etc. Then watch the movie and see how close you were to that actor's choice. Yours is never wrong, just another way to play the character.
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT
Jump to: